KYOCERA Introduces New “rafre” Washable Smartphone
Users can keep their handsets clean by washing with foaming hand or body soap (This product is only available to the Japanese market.)
08 February 2017
Kyoto/Neuss − Kyocera Corporation today announced the release of the new rafre smartphone for Japanese service provider KDDI Corporation. The product is a successor to the original DIGNO rafre, which launched in December 2015 as the world’s first hand-soap-washable smartphone. In addition to resistance against foaming hand soap, the second-generation model possesses resistance to foaming body soap. The product will be available from March 2017 in Japan, and will be offered in three colors: Pale Pink, Clear White and Light Blue.
Like its predecessor, the new rafre features resistance to hot water and a touchscreen that can be used even when the user’s hands are wet or when wearing gloves. Furthermore, the new handset is equipped with a special cooking app which allows users to scroll through recipes, set timers and answer calls through hand gestures without having to touch the display. This allows use of the smartphone while users’ hands are coated with cooking ingredients.
See the videohere
|Color||Pale Pink, Clear White and Light Blue|
|Sales Company||KDDI Corporation, Okinawa Cellular Telephone Company (Japan only)|
1. Washable with foaming soap / touchscreen operation even when wet
The new rafre can be easily washed when it becomes dirty and possesses resistance to hot water, thus allowing use in the kitchen or while relaxing in the bathtub.
Furthermore, because the touchscreen display can be operated even when the screen or the user’s hands are wet, the smartphone can be used in settings involving water or on rainy days.
2. Features cooking app that can be operated with hand gestures
With the app, users can carry out various operations through hand gestures without having to touch the display. Simple hand movements allow users to scroll through recipes, set timers and even answer calls without having to touch the device.
3. Equipped with 13-megapixel camera and high-capacity battery
Kyocera’s proprietary image-processing AINOS Engine® enables users to take clear photos in low-light conditions. The camera is also equipped with Phase Detection AF for quick focusing, and Auto HDR which enables automated clear shooting by recreating light and shade in detail.
With a high-capacity, long-life battery, users get peace of mind when away from chargers for a long period of time.
4. Convenient, easy-to-use functions
Smart Sonic Receiver®: Kyocera’s proprietary Smart Sonic Receiver technology uses vibrations to transmit sound to the eardrum via the phone’s display. Users do not need to worry about correctly positioning the device’s speaker hole against the ear, and can also hear sounds (or voices) better even in noisy environments by fully covering the ear with the phone’s display.
Blue Light Cut: The handset features a Blue Light Cut app for ease on the eyes and reduction of eye fatigue during prolonged usage.
 Foaming soap is created by special soap dispensers that transform liquid soap into foam.
For more information on Kyocera:www.kyocera.eu
Contact for journalists
Manager Corporate Communications
Contact for product information
- KYOCERA designs and manufactures new ultra-small robust ceramic UHF RFID Tag to trace surgical instruments for the Medical Market
- KYOCERA to Participate in Japan’s Virtual Power Plant Project to Improve Energy Management
- Announcement of the 2018 Kyoto Prize Laureates
- New KYOCERA Electronic Connectors Offer World’s Highest Mating Tolerance, Withstand up to +125°C
- KYOCERA TCL Solar Completes 29.2MW Solar Power Plant on Repurposed Land in Japan
- KYOCERA’s New Industrial Cutting Tool with Ultra-Durable Coating Materials Maximizes Steel Cutting Performance
- KYOCERA offers sustainable and premium-quality coffee enjoyment with the new Coffee Grinder EG-70CF
- KYOCERA Enters into License Agreement with Bosch
- KYOCERA exhibited Fine Ceramic Components at Germany’s Hannover Messe
- KYOCERA Named Among Top 100 Global Innovators by Clarivate Analytics
- KYOCERA Introduces New LCD Panels for Automotive Head-Up-Displays
- KYOCERA Files Suit Against Preh GmbH for Potential Infringement of Haptic Feedback Technology Patent
- KYOCERA to Build New Plant in Kagoshima, Japan, for Ceramic Microelectronic Packages
- KYOCERA’s New Air-Cooled UV Curing Light is World’s Smallest, Lightest and Most Powerful
- KYOCERA TCL Solar begins operation of Japan’s largest 13.7MW Floating Solar Power Plant